Gas Supply Pte Ltd’s (GSPL) has its roots in Singapore Power and PowerGas. Its history can be traced back to 1861 with the set-up of the Singapore Gas Company. Singapore Gas Company became part of the Public Utilities Board in 1963. GSPL was set up in 2000 as a subsidiary of PowerGas Ltd to import natural gas into Singapore.
On 12 February 2001, GSPL signed a Gas Sales Agreement with Pertamina Indonesia for the supply of 2.27 trillion standard cubic feet (TCF) of natural gas from the gas fields in South Sumatra, Indonesia. The Memorandum of Understanding was signed on 15 September 1998 followed by the signing of the Letter of Agreement on 22 September 1999, which marked the culmination of 3 years of negotiations.
The US$9 billion contract covers the supply of natural gas for a period of 20 years from 2003. The gas supply is piped through a 477km high-pressure pipeline originating from Corridor in South Sumatra, passing through Jambi and Jabung en route to Batam and onward to Singapore. The pipeline was inaugurated in August 2003 by then Singapore Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong and former president of Indonesia, Megawati Sukarnoputri.
Since then, GSPL has become one of the major importers of natural gas into Singapore.